Looking at the novels we have read this semester, what three things does it take to challenge the system?
Inherit the Wind
Lord of the Flies
Banned or challenged book
· You must begin with a clear introductory paragraph which includes a strong, clear argumentative thesis statement.
· Use at least three points of comparison with at least two different textual examples to support.
· Make sure to use at least four of the five texts we have studied this semester
· Finally, make sure to end with a strong conclusion paragraph
· Double SPACE! PROOFREAD! NO CO TRACTIONS OR PERSONAL WORDS! TURN IN YOUR BEST QUAILITY WORK.
· Print out essay, shut down computer and plug it in.
Title (plain 12 fonts)
Ø Attention Getter
Ø Explanation of AG
Ø Thesis(strong, clear argumentative, 3 points, books referenced and authors, This because of this)
Ø EX: Orwell, Shakespeare, Lawrence, Lee, and Bradbury through their works, 1984, Macbeth, Inherent the Wind, and Fahrenheit 451, imply that in order to successfully challenge the system one must begin with determination that fuels courage to eventually create a plan; since it is so paramount to challenge the system as a result of the social norms in place, one must contain these elements or be unsuccessful.
v 2 points, specific
v DETERMINATION- social norms, why
v MACBETH- defeating feudal system
o Thanes, king
v ITW- social norm of creationism
o Taught evolution, taught out of bio book
v Set up situation- sentence onto it owns
v Lead in, quote “”(author, act scene line).<period goes here
v Explanation of quote
o 1-analyze the quote- evidence
o 2-relates to the topic
o 3-connect to thesis, RELATES TO TWO BUT IS MORE IN DEPTH
o NO “THIS QUOTE MEANS, EXPLAINS, SAYS
v Set up situation
v Lead in, quote “” (author, (For ITW act scene)). <period goes here
v 3 explanations
v Conclusion sentence
ü Restate thesis
ü Review points- how have we seen the point necessary to challenge the system
ü Satisfying conclusion
o Tie Back to AG-talk about how the quote relates to the thesis
Macbeth( Shakespeare 1.7.9)
LOF (Golding 79)
ITW (Lawerence and Lee 2.1)
1984 (Orwell 79)
451 (Bradbury (book name if using other story) 79)
“HB” and “Pedestrian” – (author story, or for HB just author)
NO PERSONAL WORDS OR CONTRACTIONS
DO OVER THE WEEKEND FOR THE FINAL:
ALL QUOTES, FILLED INTO OUTLINE, THESIS for MONDAY
PARAGRAPH STUCTURE FILLED OUT, THESIS, SKELETON FOR YOUR FINALS